5 great ways to get rid of clutter simply and easily without all the hassle, worry and fuss. An organizing expert makes it fun to get rid of clutter.
About 23 years ago I decided I needed to get rid of clutter in our home. The clutter I am talking about is the clutter of books. I love books, I own a lot of books and I read a lot of books as did my children living at home at the time. We had a lot of books that kept accumulating everywhere in our home.
I decided that to get rid of clutter and make our home book friendly the books needed a designated place "to live". The bookcase we had was not big enough. I read the ads in the local newspaper and I found a four shelf bookcase for sale by some local university students who were moving to Italy.
I loaded my car with my kids, my friend and her kids and we drove 20 minutes to a neighboring city to look at the bookcase that was for sale. When I saw it I didn't really like the color yet the size was just what I wanted. I didn't want to pay what she was asking so I offered her $10.00 instead of the $20.00 she was asking for it. She said she would have to talk to her husband to see if they would take less.
My friend, and I and all the kids piled back into the car and on the way home we passed a local donut shop which we didn't have in our town. I thought I would treat everyone so I went in and selected the donuts we wanted. The bill came to $7.00.
The next day the woman called and said I could buy the bookcase for $10.00. I drove the 20 minutes back to her place, picked up the bookcase and have used it ever since. It is solid wood so I am sure it was worth the $20.00 she was asking. In reality it really cost me more than $20.00 considering the gas, time and purchase of the donuts. My friend and I have laughed about this so many times. It would have been worth it to have paid the asking price in the first place.
Get rid of clutter simply and easily:
1. Take a look at any piles you have in your home. Such as piles of books, clothes, toys or other piles of things you need to keep but aren't organized.
2. The way we organize things is one way to determine if we need to get rid of clutter. Ask yourself if things are easy to find and are they accessible? If not it is time to get rid of clutter by creating homes for them so they no longer live in piles.
3. Get rid of clutter by taking a good look at what works and what isn't working in your home. In my home it wasn't working for us to have books disorganized, lying around everywhere.
4. The next step is to set a goal or goals on how to get rid of the clutter. It could be as simple as to find more shelf space as I did when I bought the book case. Or it could be get rid of unused, broken or items you don't like.
5. After making your goals, take action and starting a little at a time accomplish one thing a day.
Getting rid of clutter is rewarding, it makes you feel lighter and happier. Energy increases in positive ways in the home when you get rid of clutter. But just like Rome wasn't built in a day don't work so long and hard at one time that you get burnt out. Take tortoise steps--it was after all the tortoise, not the hare that won the race.
Home organization can be simple. Click here for one-of-a-kind organizing videos where Marilyn SHOWS you how how to get rid of clutter in your home and office.